Saturday, September 10, 2005


Passing of a hero

Jack is a good friend from work and guitar lessons, who lost his father this week. Russell was a Army Ranger, special operations helicopter pilot, later medivac pilot, and was diagnosed with cancer as he made a late career switch to medical school. I had been told several times that Russell was Jack's hero.
"Okay," I thought, "but every father is their son's hero."
At the memorial service, though, as grown men spoke of Russell, I realized Jack was not the only one who looked up to his father. Russell was simply an extraordinary man who had a huge impact in the lives of people he worked and served with.
It is very tough for Jack - goodness, it was tough for me just to watch. But I can't imagine a better inheritance of patriotism, godliness, and honor.


Jack and Gen. Brown

3 Comments:

Blogger David and Ari said...

Funerals are one of those situations where the ethics of photography come into play. It's not polite, in our society, to poke a camera right into the middle of someone's grief.
But twelve years later, I wonder what my father's funeral looked like. And I think these and several other pictures will be very meaningful to Jack down the road.

10.9.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What touching photos - you are right that these will mean alot to Jack. You don't have to be in a foreign country to take pictures of substance. Thank for sharing these.

12.9.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a beautiful tribute. I'm so sorry for your loss.

13.9.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home