Tuesday, August 09, 2005


Yami puppets - Lanyu

It's a sad day. On one of our very last weekends in Taiwan, we took a trip to Orchid island with Arianna's art teacher and her husband, a puppeteer and Art director for the island. He has all sorts of humans and creatures to entertain and teach the Yami children. Those above are likenesses of the aboriginal fishermen in their traditional dress. We just received word yesterday that he suffered liver failure and is in a coma. So our thoughts and prayers are with he and Ling Ming, and these photos are a tribute to his Jim Henson-esque world.

Also, if you're interested in Lanyu, Leslie, a great photoblogger, has some images up at her site cameraeye.



Owl - Lanyu

2 Comments:

Blogger David and Ari said...

Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Date/Time
6/5/2005 5:57:42 PM
Shooting Mode
Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/25
Av( Aperture Value )
4.0
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
0
ISO Speed
800
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
18.0 mm

Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Date/Time
6/5/2005 8:22:47 PM
Shooting Mode
Auto
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/60
Av( Aperture Value )
4.0
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
0
ISO Speed
400
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
18.0 mm

I've been studying Sebastio Salgado and a recent National Geographic volume on their greatest photography, which are influencing the way I frame pictures. Normally I would have cropped the top picture, and used a closer zoom on the bottom. But the great photographers tend to go for strong visual impact, and if extraneous details are present around the edges, so be it. Do I need anything in the owl picture other than Arianna and the owl. No. But I do need her hand reaching out to it, which shows the connection between person and puppet.
Likewise, the Yami fishermen could be cropped a bit, but I think puppets are visually strong enough to win the viewer's attention without altering the frame.

9.8.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, I'm so glad to see new photos here. I'm sorry to hear about what has happened to the puppeteer.

I'm leaving for China tomorrow, so I don't think I'll be able to access your blogspot site much, if at all, while there. I guess I'll have a lot of catching up to do when I return to North America. Keep in touch and have a great next few months!

9.8.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home