Saturday, August 06, 2005


Rainy Day - Wenhai (Yunnan Province)

In total uncertainty about how to post pictures of our journey in a methodical order, I've decided to scrap logical progression and go with favorites. These are two Naxi children, curious about the camera, and even more curious as to why I am standing in their field ("your mother gave me permission" didn't suffice to explain). They have the permafrosted cheeks you sometimes see in pictures of Tibetan children - possibly because their ancestors moved east from Tibet, or maybe because they've seen harsh winters of their own.

2 Comments:

Blogger David and Ari said...

Canon EOS 20D
Shooting Date/Time
6/22/2005 6:18:21 PM
Shooting Mode
Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed )
1/30
Av( Aperture Value )
9.0
Metering Mode
Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation
0
ISO Speed
200
Lens
18.0 - 55.0 mm
Focal Length
18.0 mm

I had the camera on a tripod, which added to the curiosity. As I pushed the shutter, I realized this was a dream shot, one I imagined - of intense intimacy with unknown people - only several days into the journey. Their dirty fingers, the umbrellas, frosted cheeks, and unwiped nose depict a hand-me-down life that is simultaneously harsh and idyllic.

6.8.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photo. You captured the feeling experienced by these children.

8.8.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home